Unofficial Syracuse Crunch Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
. . . .Unofficial Syracuse Crunch Fan Forum . . . .
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New Team New Attitude
NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 12:18 am by MrBigMike

» Making the Playoffs
NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 12:00 am by MrBigMike

» Gonnnnerrr
NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 3:58 pm by tcw8848

» Crunch vs Roch
NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 6:39 pm by MrBigMike

» Crunch VS Amerks round 1
NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 am by Hiwire

» Will Crunch Show Up Saturday?
NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 9:08 am by hockeymike

» Crunch Club and Beer Selection
NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:52 pm by BlakeBall

» WBS outclasses the Crunch
NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 pm by hockeymike

» Norfolk vs Syracuse tonight
NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 1:11 am by MrBigMike

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Top posters
MrBigMike
NHL hammers NJ Devils I_vote_lcapNHL hammers NJ Devils I_voting_barNHL hammers NJ Devils I_vote_rcap 
lettucehead
NHL hammers NJ Devils I_vote_lcapNHL hammers NJ Devils I_voting_barNHL hammers NJ Devils I_vote_rcap 
Amerks6
tcw8848
warlockmb
TonyC formerlyLEX
Hiwire
hardrock4445
sec13crunch
Kalvinators
Sites Of Interest

NHL hammers NJ Devils

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lettucehead

lettucehead

NHL hammers NJ Devils Empty
PostSubject: NHL hammers NJ Devils   NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 am

Fined $3 mil plus they lose a 1st and a 3rd in upcoming drafts.
I know they have Kovalchuk for the rest of his career barring a trade
but is he worth all that?
Back to top Go down
MrBigMike
Admin
MrBigMike

PostSubject: Re: NHL hammers NJ Devils   NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 5:05 pm

I read that in the paper today. Pretty stiff penalty. What exactly was the violation? I know there was some issues with his salary, but I am not sure what exactly caused the "violation".
Back to top Go down
https://syracusecrunch.forumotion.com
lettucehead

lettucehead

PostSubject: Re: NHL hammers NJ Devils   NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 6:01 pm

The violation was circumventing the salary cap. He signed a deal for 17 years . I forget the amount but anyway
He would have gotten something like $10 mil per year for the first 12 years and $500k for the last 5 years
basically giving NJ a cap hit of like $6-$7 mil per year.( my numbers are probably off but you have an idea of how it was structured.) So the NHL doesn't approve the contract. They go to arbitraition, he rules in the NHL's favor.
NJ and Kovy agree to a new deal that was similiar by the way and the NHL approves that one.( The NHL and NHLPA have come up with some new rule about salary and guys who play into their 40's.) Then the NHL started to investigate guys who signed super long term deals because they were all put together to make less of a cap hit.(Hossa,Luongo,Pronger, and Savard to be specific.) Those investigations were dropped after this rule was put in place. Those guys had deals that were pretty obvious to getting less cap space. Kovy's deal was downright blatant.
I guess he could use Gordie Howe and Chris Chelios as examples but That is only 2 guys who played that long.
Sorry for the ramble.
Back to top Go down
MrBigMike
Admin
MrBigMike

PostSubject: Re: NHL hammers NJ Devils   NHL hammers NJ Devils EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Well, it answers my question. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://syracusecrunch.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NHL hammers NJ Devils   NHL hammers NJ Devils Empty

Back to top Go down

NHL hammers NJ Devils
Page 1 of 1